At Tysons Dental Esthetics, our team focuses dental care plans on prevention. We want to help patients maintain their healthy, natural teeth whenever possible. Unfortunately, this is not always possible. In some situations, removing a tooth is the best way to help patients maintain their healthy smiles. Our Falls Church dentist and team will offer tooth extraction when necessary to ensure optimal oral health, and with safe, comfortable tooth removal services, patients know their whole smile is protected. If you want to learn more about tooth extraction services, give our team a call to schedule your consultation appointment with us today.
When Tooth Removal is Recommended
There are a number of reasons we will recommend patients have one or more teeth removed. A good rule of thumb is that we will only recommend tooth removal if it is the best thing for your overall oral health. Some of the most common reasons teeth are extracted include:
- Severe decay or dental damage that affects more than half of the tooth structure or otherwise compromises the stability of your smile
- In preparation for orthodontic treatment when teeth are crowded, teeth may be removed to allow for ease of tooth movement
- Prior to the creation and placement of partial or full dentures, one or more teeth may be removed to ensure the longevity of the prosthetic
- Wisdom teeth, third molars, are the last teeth to erupt in the smile and the most frequently extracted teeth because their late development can lead to oral health concerns like crowing and impaction
How Teeth are Removed
Teeth are either pulled or surgically extracted. When teeth are fully erupted from the gums, we can pull them. That means, we numb the area. Then, we use metal clasps to shift the tooth back and forth until it can be pulled free from the socket. Surgical extraction means we need to cut into the soft tissue to expose part or all of a tooth before we can remove it from the socket.
Caring for Your Smile After Extraction
Following your tooth extraction procedure, we’ll provide a detailed list of post operative instructions to ensure you heal quickly and comfortable. However, some basics to keep in mind include:
- For the first 48 hours after treatment, you should avoid eating hard or chewy foods as well as overly hot or cold foods and beverage
- You should use an ice pack or cold compress at 20 minute intervals to reduce swelling, relieve pain, and slow blood flow
- Discuss any medications you’re taking with our team and/or your physician to ensure your tooth extraction and healing will be safe and successful
- Take over the counter or prescribed pain medications only as directed
- If your pain worsens or you notice swelling and other sings of infection and other surgical complications, contact us immediately
Tooth Replacement Solutions
For many extractions like wisdom tooth removal, you will not need to replace the tooth. However, if you do need to replace one or more teeth following tooth extraction, we are happy to offer a wide range of restorations, including traditional fixed bridges, partials, and full dentures. We also provide dental implant supported tooth replacement options for increased stability and longevity of your dental restorations.